Hi! For you to get to know us better, to find out who are the folks behind 500px and what it is that we actually do, we started a new ongoing feature on the blog titled “Meet the team”. Last time we shared our favorite tunes of 2012. Now you are about to meet one of the team members — me, Diana Tula.
What’s your 500px story?
It was luck, chance and my desire to help out that got me working for 500px. In short...
- Winter 2009 I met both Evgeny and Oleg through mutual friends
- Halloween 2009 500px.com went live
- Spring/Summer 2010 I organized a Models VS Photographers event for 500px
- 2011 Started volunteering for 500px, answering customer support questions
- Fall 2011 hired by 500px to work on customer support
- July 2012 took over blog & social media because of a vacancy. Shorty after, officially hired to do the same
What do you do at 500px?
I blog and do a few more things. I look at 1,000s of photos daily, promote photographers and photos on our social pages (twitter, G+ and Facebook), suggest photos for Editors’ Choice, report NSF photos, write-up new stories, plan and schedule posts for weeks and months to come, check email, when asked I test for bugs, provide feedback and co-chair some interviews. What I no longer do is order lunches for the office and for that I am eternally grateful.
Do you photograph?
I do! I have a Nikon D90, D70, an old Kiev film camera and iPhone 4. All are second hand cameras and all I love. My favorite lens is a Nikon 50mm 1.8. It is awesome and I use it 90% of the time. Lately I’ve been eyeing a wide angle and a macro lens for my iPhone.
Tell us 5 random things about you.
- 1. When I was little I lived for LEGO, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers.
- 2. Canada is the 5th country I am living in. I moved to Toronto in 2002.
- 3. I’ve been in and out of art schools since I was 8.
- 4. My current read is Robert Rankin’s “The Educated Ape & Other Wonders Of The Worlds”.
- 5. My grandfather is a hobbyist photographer. He has won a few awards in his time.
Thanks for reading :) If you'd like to add Diana to friends visit her 500px page, for Instagram and other social media her handle is @detula.
If there is a question you'd like to ask our team or an idea for "Meet the team" feature please leave a comment below. We'd love to hear your feedback and answer your questions.