The first prospectors arrived here in 1873. By 1875 the summer population reached 450 people, but very fiew braved the very rough winters here, and most mining activities stopped. The town weathered the boom and bust cycles of the industry until the early 1020s, when it began to transition into the ghost town there today.
It became a town with 30 residences and businesses, and had electricity, telephone and telegraph. Fire destroyed much of the town in 1891, and an avalanche destroyed several buildings in 1943.
The "Bay Window House" was built by William W. Duncan in 1879.