The Folly at Pontypool has commanding views of the surrounding countryside. It was built by John Hanbury, the local iron master who owned Pontypool Park, sometime around 1770. It is reputed to have been used as a lookout for the local hunts and as a summerhouse for the family.
At the start of WW2, the tower was demolished as it was feared that it could be used as a landmark for enemy aircraft looking to locate the ordnance factory at Glascoed.
Campaigns to rebuild the tower after the war were launched but were unsuccessful. In 1990, a number of prominent local historians and conservationists joined forces and a committee was formed to seek funding to rebuild the Folly. Work commenced in 1993.
On 22nd July 1994, the Prince of Wales performed the official opening ceremony and the Folly Tower once again stood proudly on the ridge as a landmark for all.