This image is the remains of a large room in the Administration Building at Henryton. Henryton Center was established in 1922 for the care of African-American tuberculosis patients. Sarah A. Collins Fernandis, the first African-American female social worker in Maryland, was instrumental in the erection of this facility. In 1963 the hospital was transferred to the Department of Mental Hygiene and began operation as a training and habilitation program for severely and profoundly retarded ambulatory adults. The center was closed in 1985.