The Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh was built in 1883 and named after the Theatre Royal Lyceum and English Opera House, the residence at the time of legendary Shakespearean actor Henry Irving.
It was built by architect C. J. Phipps at a cost of £17,000 on behalf of J. B. Howard and F. W. P. Wyndham, two local theatrical managers and performers who went on to establish the renowned Howard & Wyndham company in 1895. With only four minor refurbishments, in 1929, 1977, 1991, and 1996, the Royal Lyceum remains one of the most original and unaltered of the architect's works.
Since 1965 the theatre has been the home of The Royal Lyceum Theatre Company.