The first Anglican Church to be build in Knysna was the small stone Church standing South of the large Church. Building began in 1849 and it was consecrated by Robert Gray on the 3rd October 1855. It was shortly after the building completed that it was found to be to small for the growing local community. A wooden extension was build and later replaced by brick and iron. In 1872 foundations were laid for a larger Church around the site of the small Church but fortunately, due to lack of funds it was never completed and the Small Church now remains intact.