This magnificent building testifies to 19th century Philadelphia's importance as a financial hub. the Philadelphia (Merchants') Exchange opened in 1834, and stood in the commercial heart of the city. Merchants, manufacturers, brokers, and shipmasters all gathered here to trade stocks and commodities, and to learn the latest business news.
The Exchange has been called architect William Strickland's "Philadelphia Masterpiece." Strickland who broke with British traditions and became a leader in Greek Revival architecture, also designed the Second Bank of the United States on Chestnut Street, and the Tennessee state capitol in Nashville.