The Fort Cape Spear Battery just outside St. John's in Newfoundland. In 1940, the American and Canadian Joint Board on Defence decided to protect the approaches to St. John's harbour by installing heavy artillery at Cape Spear. Gun emplacements, magazines, and shelters were constructed in 1941 as well as barracks, messhalls, canteens, and administration buildings. The 103rd Coast Defence Battery of the Royal Canadian Artillery was stationed here and a small detachment of Americans manned the anti-aircraft searchlights. The site was manned until May, 1945.