The Kingdom of Jerusalem build fortresses along the road to Jerusalem in order to control the traffic to Jerusalem, and protect pilgrims visiting the Holy City. Farms were built using the spring water for irrigation. Impressive ruins of a 30x40 meter Crusader structure, whose southern wall survives to a height of 12 meters, are located on the north site of the riverbed. The building has several gates and two arched halls. The building was known in Arabic as Deir al Benat (Monastery of the Daughters). Archeological investigations indicate that it was built in 1140-1160, during the reign of Fulk of Jerusalem, in the same period as the fortresses on Tzova and Emmaus. South of the building are a nature reserve and a Muslim cemetery.