Back-to-School Sale. Get 15% off Plus and Awesome accounts, now until September 5th.Upgrade now

San Giorgio Maggiore é uma das ilhas de Veneza, que fica a leste da ilha Giudecca e a sul do principal grupo de ilhas. Está rodeada pelo Canale della Grazia, Canale della Giudecca, Canale di San Marco e pela Laguna de Veneza meridional. Faz parte do sestiere de San Marco.
A ilha foi provavelmente ocupada no período romano; depois da fundação de Veneza foi chamada Insula Memmia pela família Memmo que era sua proprietária. No ano 829 tinha uma igreja consagrada a São Jorge, daí que fosse chamada San Giorgio Maggiore (São Jorge Maior) para a distinguir de San Giorgio in Alga.
O mosteiro beneditino de San Giorgio foi fundado em 982, quando o Doge Tribuno Memmo doou toda a ilha a um monge, Giovanni Morosini. Os monges secaram os pântanos da ilha próximos da igreja para conseguir terreno sobre o qual edificar.
San Giorgio é actualmente conhecida sobretudo pela sua Basílica de San Giorgio Maggiore, desenhada por Andrea Palladio e começada em 1566.

San Giorgio Maggiore is one of the islands of Venice, northern Italy, lying east of the Giudecca and south of the main island group. The isle is surrounded by Canale della Grazia, Canale della Giudecca, Saint Mark Basin, Canale di San Marco and the southern lagoon. It forms part of the San Marco sestiere.
The island was probably occupied in the Roman period; after the foundation of Venice it was called Insula Memmia after the Memmo family who owned it. By 829 it had a church consecrated to St George; thus it was designated as San Giorgio Maggiore to be distinguished from San Giorgio in Alga.
The Monastery of San Giorgio was established in 982, when the Benedictine monk, Giovanni Morosini[1] asked the doge Tribuno Memmo to donated the whole island for a Monastery. Morosini drained the island's marshes next to the church to get the ground for building, and founded the Monastery of San Giorgio Maggiore, and became its first abbot.
The belltower has a ring of 9 bells in C#.
San Giorgio is now best known for the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, designed by Palladio and begun in 1566.

Discover more inspiring photos like this one.

Download the FREE 500px app Open in app