History: "Almost 10 years after Danvers State Hospital was opened, construction started for Westboro State Hospital in 1884. With 600 plus acres of land and located on Chauncy Lake it was a promising place for it's new patients. In 1886 it opened it's doors to the public. On the property was the Talbot Building which was a former state reform school built in 1848. In later years the state took it over and became part of the hospital. The complex had a Laundry room, a Theater, Cottages, Male and Female buildings. Westboro would be the first to use homeopathic medicines to treat its patients unlike most hospitals of its time. Overtime when a ward or section of the hospital would no longer be in use, they would seal it up. Basically sectioning off the hospital until the only active part would be in Admin building, which finally closed in June 2010. Most of the orginal complex is closed."