In the early 20th century, most transportation on Puget Sound was by steamer, and a community’s dock was often its only lifeline to the outside world. Such was the case for the young community of Indianola Beach, and by 1918 a steamer was docking there every weekend. Daily ferry service was initiated in 1919.
By 1929, three passenger boats left the Indianola dock for Seattle every day, and the 1930s brought more connections to the outside world. A power line was strung in 1930, and phone service was established in 1934. The Port of Indianola was established in 1933 after a special election. The dock, which had previously only accommodated passengers, was widened and reinforced to allow auto access.
Ferry service was discontinued in Fall of 1951 after the Agate Pass Bridge opened and the Washington State Ferries took over ferry service on Puget Sound... but the dock remains a focal point for summer activities by many people throughout North Kitsap.