Sculpted in 1820-21 by Lukas Ahorn and designed by Bertel Thorvaldsen in memory of Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 (French Revolution) guarding Louis the XVI. It is 10 metres long and 6 metres wide has a dying lion impaled by a stake through its heart and covering a shield with the fluer de lis of the French royal family and another with the Coats of Arms of Switzerland. It has been engraved in the sandstone quarry cliff face, in Lucerne and has the inscription: Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti meaning "To the loyalty and bravery of the Swiss". also the the inscription DCCLX=760 soldiers who died and CCCL=350 those who survived. Mark Twain praised the sculpture as the "most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world".