It was originally built to changes that interrupted the slope gaginesche workers coordinated by the royal master builder Joseph Giacalone. In 1844 it amalgamated the various ramps, designed by architect Salvatore Marino. Thus were born one hundred forty-two steps of the staircase of Santa Maria del Monte, which since 1954 is entirely decorated in the risers of the steps, with ceramic tile polychrome majolica produced by Handmade Caltagirone. In a show of every step we applied a coating of colored majolica, of the same type as that over the centuries has made the city famous.
The tiles are decorated with island ranging from the tenth to the twentieth century, collected and adapted - reads at the bottom of the scale - by Antonino Ragona. The effect is wonderful and the glance spectacular.