"Vuccirìa" in Sicilian means "confusion." Today, the confusion of voices that overlap and the cries of vendors (the abbanniati) is one of the elements that most characterizes this market Palermo.
Over the centuries the Vucciria underwent several changes. The viceroy Caracciolo in 1783 decided to change the appearance, in particular its main square which was called by its name in his honor. Around the square were built of the arcades that housed the stalls and in the center was placed a fountain. It is impossible to describe all the characteristic odors that pervade the place, even if the typical smell of fish is certainly the most intense.
Within the market area are palaces and works of art such as the Palace Mazzarino, belonged to the family of the famous Cardinal, the fountain of Garraffello, Palazzo Gravina Filangeri of Rammacca to Garraffello.