La noche del 4 de mayo de 1949, al regreso de un partido de fútbol victorioso en Lisboa, el avión que devolvía los jugadores del Grande Torino a la patria, se estrelló contra la base del muro posterior del complejo de la Basílica, probablemente por la niebla. En la catástrofe murieron 31 personas: todo el equipo granate (titulares y reservas) y sus compañeros de viaje. Una gran lápida recuerda la tragedia de la legendaria escuadra y es lugar de peregrinación de seguidores y turistas.
Superga is at 670 meters in height is the second hill of Turin after Faro della Maddalena with 715 meters.
Vittorio Amadeo II princes and Eugene of Savoy climbed the high hill on September 2, 1706, to monitor the positions of the Franco-Spanish army which had for about 4 months besieging the city, and promised the Madonna delle Grazie that if Turin released the fence, constructed on the hill itself a great temple.
On July 20, 1717 was initiated by the great architect Filippo Juvarra the construction of the Basilica, and the November 5, 1731, 14 years later, although incomplete, was opened by Charles Emanuel III. It is dedicated to the Nativity of Mary and the seat of the royal tombs. Site selection should highlight the royal dignity of the House of Savoy acquired after the Treaty of Utrecht (1713).
The view is visible from this place is just awesome: Turin, at the foot of the Alps and surrounded by the rivers Po and Dora. It's a great show.
On the night of May 4, 1949, returning from a victorious football game in Lisbon, the plane that returned Grande Torino players in the country, crashed against the base of the rear wall of the basilica complex, probably by the fog. The disaster killed 31 people: all the equipment garnet (regular and reserve) and their fellow travelers. A large plaque recalls the tragedy of the legendary squad and is a place of pilgrimage for fans and tourists.
BASÍLICA DE SUPERGA, TURÍN - TORINO, ITALIA