Extensive renovation completed in June 2011 has now restored the palace of Augarten to its former glory. Originally an imperial maison de plaisance, it has since 1923 been the home of the AUGARTEN PORCELAIN MANUFACTORY. One wing of the building now houses the Augarten Porcelain Museum, the exhibition rooms feature an imposing original kiln extending over two floors.
The museum illustrates the history of Vienna porcelain with a representative selection of pieces from all its artistic phases. The visitor entering on the upper floor is presented with accounts of porcelain’s origins in China, of the enthusiasm it fired in the hearts of Western rulers, and of the European discovery of the recipe for hard-paste or “true” porcelain.