The design dates back yo 1867 and is made by the architect dr. P.J.H. Cuypers who also did the Central Station and the main museum in Amsterdam. This was his first assignment in the north of Holland. The style is neo-Gothic and inspired by old Gothic churches from medieval times. The neo-Gothic style was uses a lot for churches in the era.