This temporary Starter account, Explorer, was
automatically created for you.
It's that easy.
This used to be called the Vineland Mansion but is now the McAuley Hall which is part of Salve Regina University.
You get an amazing view of the building from the Cliff Walk. Looks even more beautiful with the setting sun lighting it just right.
Some history of the place:
"Originally called "Vinland" in romantic reference to legendary Vikings who may have first come ashore near here, this rambling red sandstone seaside estate was the summer home of tobacco heiress Catherine Lorillard Wolfe. Longfellow's poem about Newport Vikings,"The Skeleton in Armor," inspired the architecture and decor. Built in the Romanesque Revival style and characterized by heavy rustication and rounded arches, the building features carved belt courses and window casings with decorative motifs derived from 1,000-year-old Celtic manuscripts. The founding members of the British Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society, including poet and designer William Morris, supplied the interior dÎcor. Other decorative elements included a suite of stained-glass windows depicting Norse Gods and Goddesses designed by Edward Burne-Jones, and a mural frieze representing Longfellow's story created by painter and designer Walter Crane. While the university no longer owns these items, their significance to the history and study of the building is duly noted through archival literature. Ernest Bowditch of Boston landscaped Vinland's inviting grounds. A pair of 90 foot, century-old Fernleaf Beech trees (Fagus sylvatica asplenifolia) were shipped to Newport from the Lorillard estate in Yonkers, N.Y., and transported by oxen to Ochre Point. Located in front of the main house, these splendid trees, a variety of European Beech, have narrow, often oblong leaves which are deeply lobed and incised. The Roman Dolium (200 B.C.) near the main entrance was excavated from a rectory garden in Rome and presented to Miss Wolfe in 1884. Similar to storage vessels unearthed at Pompeii, this precious artifact probably once held olives, grain or wine. For generations of students, the relic, affectionately called "the Bean Pot," has served as a beloved campus landmark. The rose garden near the southern wing was planted by the university to serve as a place for quiet reflection.
In 1896, Vinland was sold to railroad tycoon Hamilton McKnown Twombly and his wife, Florence Vanderbilt Twombly, whose brother Cornelius Vanderbilt II, owned The Breakers next door. Grand dame Florence became the reigning hostess of Vinland, a lavish and elegant center of social aspiration during the late Gilded Age and first half of the 20th century. As an extended member of Newport's prominent Vanderbilt family, Mrs. Twombly's highly formal, aristocratic entertainments were as well known as the maroon-liveried servants and entourage of Rolls Royces. The Twomblys enlarged the house considerably between 1907 and 1910. The interior at this time was recreated by Ogden Codman. In 1955, Mrs. Twombly's daughter, Florence Burden, donated the estate to Salve Regina College. The main house was renamed in memory of the founder of the Sisters of Mercy, Catherine McAuley."
The Mansion on the Hill
by Frank Grace
Copy the code to your website