Good question. I'm Scott Neumyer and I'm a photographer (I'm also a Publicist and Writer) from Central New Jersey. Since most people can't remember how to spell my last name, I thought "Scott Shoots" would be the perfect way to get my passion across pretty quickly.
No, I wasn't born with a camera in my hand, like so many photographers you've probably read about all over the Internet. I had to work hard to learn the ins and outs of film photography (before we had these beautiful digital things where the picture pops right up on the back!) and the traditional darkroom before I finally adopted a style that's all my own.
My father gave me my first camera - an old Konica FT-1 Motor that he'd used for years - and it was on that piece of machinery that I learned to make photos.
What really matters to me, however, is telling stories. The camera is just the medium that I choose to use to tell my stories. I've got a BA in English and Cinema Studies from Rutgers University, so (whether it's movies, books, music, photography, etc) my passion for telling stories is what drives me.
Making photos makes me happy and I hope that passion comes across in my work.
I can't wait to meet new people, make their photos, and tell their stories.
But first, here are seven things about me that you might not know:
* I sported a blonde semi-mohawk for about a year in high school. There are pictures of it on my Facebook page if you’re really interested.
* I played trombone in a fairly popular Ska band back during the “summer of ska.” We played with the likes of Cherry Poppin Daddies, Catch-22 (several times), and a bunch of members of Streetlight Manifesto, among other killer bands. Playing on stage in front of large crowds was, admittedly, probably one of the most fun things I’ve ever done.
* I’m a major film geek. I’m talking…I own over 3000 DVDs, which are the bane of my wife’s existence because they’re taking over our home. Ha! A cookie for anyone who can guess what I wrote my final thesis paper on (hint: it was a TV series).
* I was a substitute teacher for a year-and-a-half. I also coached the baseball team while working there.
* I have an obsessive affinity for bacon. All things bacon. I’ve actually had a discussion with someone about living on Planet Bacon if there were such a thing. I even tried Bacon Mints. I know. I’m weird. FYI - the Bacon Mints were gross!
* My wife and I watch ALF every night before we go to sleep.
* I’m a HUGE mixed martial arts fan, and have been for a long while. I studied a little bit of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai in college, but I’m way out of practice (and out of shape) now. I’ve been to a few UFC events before and my one big photography goal is to be able to someday do some ringside photography for the UFC.
If you want to learn even more about me check out my blog, follow me on Twitter, and even friend me over on Facebook.
I can't wait to meet you! Cheers!