My Father's Struggle

Published May 30th, 2012

On November 9th, 2009 my dad suffered a catastrophic stroke that took two thirds of the left half of his brain and his ability to speak, write or move the right side of his body. Prior to his stroke he worked in R&D at Oracle, was a mountaineer, motorcycle rider, avid shooter, photographer, coach and screamer of obscenities at the TV news. Right after the stroke, the doctors told us that he would never be any of those things again. He may not ever be all of those things again, but over the ensuing two and a half years he has regained quite a bit of his independence. He has had to fight tooth and nail to get every bit of it back.

D067b73ce9435b37a051b55ab7c9cad6

Untitled

This was about 8 months after his stroke at one of his thrice weekly physical therapy sessions. The device on his arm detects the severely weakened nerve impulses to his right hand and amplifies them, allowing him a small amount of control over his paralyzed limb. One of the other side effects of his stroke was a heightening of his emotional states with the right side of his brain becoming dominant.

1d556196338ff2d4fb496c9c2843bbcb

Untitled

My family has always been close knit and Dad's stroke just served to bring us that much closer.

1efb9389e2968e075e999eadcb977e8e

Untitled

While he was going through physical therapy, he had some of the best therapists in the state. The work that they did with him, and the distance that they took him was amazing.

C50b6839c6677b370994663e3a2120ad

Untitled

With the help of a lot of therapists and doctors, my Mom and by virtue of being one of the most stubborn people to have ever graced the Earth, Dad has regained the ability to walk with a cane, go up and down stairs, and he is even relearning how to speak and write. It has been a painfully long process, but he has never stopped improving.

The Photographer

My dad was the reason that I got into photography in the first place. When I was in second grade, he bought a Pentax K100 and taught me how to use it. Most weekends in the summer would find us up in the mountains, shooting pictures. About nine months before his stroke he got that old Pentax cleaned and put back into pristine condition. We thought that the stroke would be the end of his hobby as a photographer, but for the last three months he has been relearning the craft and figuring out how to work with only one functioning hand. It was such a joy being able to get back in the hills with Dad, taking pictures and enjoying his presence.

My Dad At Button Rock Dam

On the way up, he walked behind his wheelchair for the first 500 feet. It took some time, but we were in no hurry. And just as a quick tip, pushing a wheelchair up in the mountains is great exercise but keeping the chair from rolling out of control on the way down is murder on the knees!

Dcbbd0b858757699db0d43e210588637

Untitled

Earlier this spring, my parents had a sidewalk put into the back yard so that Dad has access to it. As the cement was drying, Mom wrote this into the concrete. Those three words sum up so much about the last two and a half years. So much truth in such a short sentence.

pulpillo
Dioger Rodriguez  about 4 years ago
Wow!!! Lovely story and It's amazing how faith, love and courage can help someone you love!
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  about 4 years ago
I'm glad that you were able to take something away from it, Dioger. Thank you for the comment.
magespic
Miguel R. Magalhaes  about 4 years ago
I love this story!! Such an amazing inspirational one!! Thanks!
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  about 4 years ago
Thank you so much for the comment, Joao-Miguel.
martinsully
Martin Sully  about 4 years ago
I love this story, I even showed it to my fiancee who works with people who have had strokes. Really touching. Best wishes to you all.
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  about 4 years ago
Thank you for letting me know how much you enjoyed it, Martin. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!
gloch
George Loch  about 4 years ago
Love this Jake. Your father and family is inspirational. The photos are good too ;)
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  about 4 years ago
Thank you, George. It makes me happy to know that I've been able to share some of the inspiration that Dad has given to me.
AnnMatthew
Plus Account
Annette Matthews  about 4 years ago
I love this story Jake! Your sentiments AND your photographs are amazing. Your Dad sounds like a great guy and I love the words in the cement, such an inspiration. Great job, thanks for sharing such a personal story.
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  about 4 years ago
Thank you, Ann. I'm glad to know that I conveyed everything that I had hoped to with this series.
shvartz
Yakov Shvartz (inactive)  over 4 years ago
I enjoyed that, thanks. The added text enhances the impact of the visuals. I browsed through your gallery but I did not find more photos of this nature.
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  over 4 years ago
Thank you, Yakov. As far as the rest of my gallery is concerned, I freely admit that I am a rank amateur and most of my photos are snapshots. This series about my father is the most personal work that I've done and some of the very few pictures that I've done that peek their heads a little bit over the line that separates art from dross. I'm still trying to find my voice, decide what I want to say in the first place and learn how to communicate something other than "pretty flower" with my photography. Thank you for looking, and thank you for the comment, Yakov.
BasmaAlSous
Basma Al Sous  over 4 years ago
What a heart touching story, thank u for sharing it with us...
JakeMoomaw
Jake Moomaw  over 4 years ago
Thank you for reading it, Basma. I'm happy that you liked it.