Jide Odukoya had very few photographs of himself as a kid, unlike his siblings who have many to show off. However, he seems to be on rampage these days to compensate for the past deprivation. Only that he now delights in capturing those special, rare moments in the lives of other people. He started his photography career when he purchased a Canon 550D from savings he made doing Digital Graphics design, branding of small-scale businesses and building (front-end aesthetics for) websites.
He quickly fell in love with street photography and has since photographed on the streets of Nigeria across several cities, including Lagos, Ogun, Ibadan, Ekiti, Benue, Uyo, Calabar, Enugu, Abuja and Port Harcourt. Now he majors in long-term and short-term documentary photography projects with interest in Lifestyle, Socio-Economic development, Health, and Gender Equality issues in Nigeria, Africa and beyond. His style is Contemporary, Urban, Artistic and Photojournalistic, and has been greatly influenced by street photography.
Jide hopes to inspire his viewers with beautiful and intelligently taken photographic shots. This has made him delve into various artistic photo presentations, including Surreal and Triptychs.
He holds a national diploma in Industrial Maintenance Engineering from the Yaba College of Technology, Lagos, and a B.Sc. in Systems Engineering from the prestigious University of Lagos. He runs a daily Lifestyle/Street photopost on http://www.jideodukoya.com. When he is not doing photography, he swims, spends time with friends and travels round the world. He believes in the need for individual and collective responsibility of Nigerians in making our nation a great one indeed. He lives in Lagos, Nigeria.
• Group Exhibition of works from 20 shortlisted candidates for the Lagos/Etisalat Amateur Photography Competition 2011
• Group Exhibition, [2nd Draw] Amateur Photography Competition (Nigeria) 2012
AWARDS AND NOMINATIONS:
• 2nd Runner-up [2nd Draw] Amateur Photography Competition, Nigeria (2012)
• Nominee, Landscape Category, the Nigerian Photography Awards 2012
• #OccupyNigeria fuel subsidy protest feature in ‘’The Militant Weekly magazine” USA [February 2012]
• #OccupyNigeria fuel subsidy protest as flyer picture for ArtSpace RoundUp: The art and Space of Public Opinion Exhibition, Goethe Institute, Nigeria [February 2012]
• The Lagos Carnival 2011 and 2012, Lagos Eyo Festival 2012, Occupy Naija fuel Subsidy protest feature on many website, blogs and publications.
The Bella Naija Photo Stories Series [October 2011 – February 2012].
Below are links to the posts:
• The finale “From the frying pan to fuel protest”
• Nigerian cities landscape skyline
• Lagos Eyo Festival 2011
• Waste Wealth and the burden of a city
• Meet the kings of the Road
• Breaking a sweat on the streets
• Women of the underground economy
Oct. 2011 – Feb. 2012
- 29 Affection
- 2,990 Photo Views
- 53 Followers
- 2 Following
- Ikeja, Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria