Sihoniya (also Suhoniya) was known to be the capital of the Kachhwahas . The Kachhwaha kingdom was established in the early 11th century . The Kachwaha King Kirtiraj got a Shiv Temple built in Sihoniya, between 1015-1035 AD.
This temple is known as the Kakan Madh Temple. It stands on a spot two miles away from Sihoniya in the northwest of Morena district, about 35 km. The general belief is that king Kirtiraj had erected the temple to fulfill the wish of Queen Kakanwati. The temple is 115 feet high, built in the Khajuraho style.
The Kings of Sihoniya and Narwar helped the Tomar King of Delhi during the invasions of Mahmud of Gazni in the first quarter of 11th century A.D., after defeating the Hindu kings of North and Central India, Mahmud of Gazni destroyed and looted their capitals, the Kakanmadh Temple was also looted, burned and most of its magnificent sculptures were defaced and broken, the ruins of once a mighty temple survives to this day.
Still neglected by the State and Central Governments in India, Kakanmadh has the same architecture and plan as the Temples of Khajuraho, but is even larger then the largest and most beautiful Khajuraho temple Kandariya Mahadev.