Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan (Thai: เมืองประจวบคีรีขันธ์)
In the Ayutthaya era, the area of modern Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan was the location of two ancient cities, Mueang Narang and Khlong Wan. When Ayutthaya Kingdom was destroyed, the cities were abandoned. In early Rattanakosin era, King Rama II established Mueang Bang Nang Rom at the mouth of the Nang Rom canal. But as the land was not fertile, the king moved the city center to Mueang Kui, however the new city name was kept. King Mongkut (Rama IV) renamed it Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan, to rhyme with Mueang Patchanta Khiri Khet (now Koh Kong) on the other side of the Gulf of Thailand. In 1894 King Chulalongkorn placed Mueang Prachuap under Mueang Phetchaburi. In 1898 he moved the district office from Mueang Kui to Ko Lak bay (also known as Prachuap bay). In 1906 the monarch merged Mueang Pranburi, Kamnoed Nopphakhun and Prachuap, and established Mueang Pranburi to keep the name of Mueang Pran. The new city was made a province under the control of Monthon Ratchaburi. To prevented confusion of the city names, King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) changed the district name that was located at the Prachuap bay back to Prachuap Khiri Khan on August 16, 1915.