The presence of the port of Cesenatico is documented since ancient times. According to ancient documents, there was already a port at the mouth of the river Pisciatello, before 1302.
But in 1314 the Municipality of Cesena involved with excavation and restoration to take advantage of a good port on the Adriatic to the activities of trade. The municipal judges, entrusted the supervision of the port to hydraulic engineers, who dealt with its operation and all maintenance work. But because of the natural depressions in the coastal ports of the coast of Romagna were often blocked by the accumulation of sand banks which created discomfort and danger, preventing the traffic of boats. In 1502 twenty-seven Cesare Borgia, the illegitimate son of Pope Alexander VI, and nicknamed The Valentine had just reaffirmed the rule of the Church on the Romagna region through an efficient military action, beating the numerous small lordships vying for territory. In those years, the Duke Valentino was interested in defending the newly reconquered areas with a renewal plan of the fortifications and strategic locations. The rapid development of firearms made an urgent modernization of medieval fortresses. He chose, therefore, Leonardo da Vinci as an architect and general engineer, instructed him to carry out inspections and surveys required of all outposts, castles and towns of the Romagna and then perform the appropriate changes. In this context it is also part of Cesenatico. The Borgia felt the need to create in Cesenatico, for its ideal location between the Middle and Upper Adriatic, a port more efficient and a safe haven for ships and permanently solve the problem silting. Leonardo da Vinci, took the port of Cesenatico on the occasion of his visit to Romagna in 1502, serving the Valentino.Il Leonardo's work is documented by two drawings of the Renaissance master created his book travel now known as Code L , kept in Paris, the Bibliothèque de l'Institut de France, while a faithful reproduction of the code is kept in the Biblioteca Comunale di Cesenatico. This is the pocket notebook (10.9 X7, 2 cm) that Leonardo had begun to fill with notes and drawings in Milan, and brought with him on his journey in Romagna. Have been attributed to Leonardo and the invention of two moles guardians (of which the right is more elongated), the creation of the tributaries were expurgated channel port and a movable bulkhead on the bridge of St. Joseph. Leonardo designed the modifications to the port of Cesenatico in order to solve the serious problem of silting of the entrance: that changed the orientation and length of each fence and extended basins connected, so that water could enter and accumulate , adjusting the flow through movable bulkheads, but also quickly drain during low tide, by clearing the entrance during the runoff. After the intervention of the port of Cesenatico Leonardo became very accessible and efficient in the following centuries. In the eighteenth century. Peter Leopold, Grand Duke of Tuscany had ordered a road that was connected to the port from Tuscany, in order to facilitate commercial traffic. On August 2, 1849 Giuseppe Garibaldi to come to the defense of Venice, he sailed from Cesenatico with his two hundred men out of thirteen fishing boats fishing in defense, because although there was a storm at sea, the harbor was very safe. Since then he has always been a safe haven for fishing boats, and recently is also used for links with Croatia. The boats you see are all from the beginning of 900

Discover more inspiring photos like this one.

Download the FREE 500px app Open in app