The General Staff building was designed by Carlo Rossi, an outstanding architect of the Russian Classicism style. It was built in 1820-27 and reveals an architectural strictness that was characteristically Classical. The General Staff building occupies a vast space from Nevsky Prospekt to the bend of the Moika River. The main accent in the composition of the facade looking on to Palace Square is placed on the magnificent arch - the symbol of the triumph of Russia. The triumphal chariot drawn by six horses and the sculptural compositions of the arch - statues of warriors, high reliefs representing flying figures of genii of Glory and armour - were executed according to Rossi's designs by Vasily Demuth-Malinovsky and Stepan Pimenov. The building's special expressiveness results from the combination of the severe and neutral facade with the monumental central part, which is lavishly decorated with sculptures, and the rhythmically arranged, well-proportioned columns of the porticos of the side wings. The ground floor takes the form of a rusticated base or socle. The windows of the main first floor are surrounded with decorative frames and ledges. The upper part of the wall is highlighted by means of a stucco cornice. The eastern wing of the building, now belonging to the Hermitage Museum, was meant for the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Finances. Three porticos in strict Tuscany order accentuated by projections add imposing solemnity to the long facade looking on to the Moika River. The splendid building designed by Rossi completed the ensemble of Palace Square.