The name comes from the Arabic al-Hamam Marsà which means "Bay of Doves", as the area is obliged to place the passage of small birds during migration.
The village has developed around the landing, then became a fishing port, and has developed thanks to the latter activity, widely practiced today, acquiring even a tuna, one of the most important in Sicily. The trap of Marzamemi dates back to the time of the domination of the Arabs in Sicily. In 1630 it was sold by the owner to the Prince of Villadorata. The Villadorata were strengthening the buildings of tuna by bringing Avola and Siracusa of skilled carpenters, who were then living in Marzamemi.
In 1752 he built the palace and the church of the trap, and the houses of sailors.
In 1912 a factory was built in Marzamemi processing salted tuna and tuna in oil as a result. Fishing for tuna was plentiful until after the war.