The lighthouse was camouflaged and the light was dimmed on 4th September 1939. It was extinguished in June 1940 for the duration of the German Occupation and, except for special operations was not relit until 19 May 1945.
The original fog signal, a bell and an explosive detonator, was replaced in 1933 by a compressed air horn with engines in the lower square building. Today, the electric foghorn gives four blasts (letter C in Morse Code) every minute. There is also a radio beacon at the lighthouse