The Trueman family’s oral history attributed the construction of this cabin to former slave Charles Duckett. In 1864, Duckett enlisted in the Union Army, joining the 19th regiment of the United States Colored Troops, Company 1. He was soon transferred to the Navy, where he served as a landsman for the ships the Allegeny and the Vadalia. Discharged in March, 1866, Duckett worked as a farm hand, on the Trueman property in Aquasco. He built this cabin around 1880. Later, Duckett probably married Juliet Blake Gross, also a former slave.
The cabin was occupied until the 1920s. In the 1970s, the Trueman family donated the abandoned cabin to the M-NCPPC. Restoration of the cabin was completed in 2002, using many of the original hand-hewn chestnut beams. During the reconstruction and relocation of the cabin, staff used 19th century techniques wherever possible.