Prince Williams Parish Church was built between 1745 and 1755, about 15 miles north of Beaufort, South Carolina.
During the American revolution, British troops burned the church. It was rebuilt in 1826 and given the name of Sheldon Church of Prince William's Parish.
Its second round of glory days was to be short-lived. Sherman's 15th corps burned Sheldon Church on Jan. 14, 1865. This was considered part of Sherman's "march from the sea" as he crossed South Carolina from Savannah..
The church was never rebuilt after Sherman burned it, but the columns of the church still remain erect today to remind us of what our treasured historical places had to endure during this crossing of the state by Union troops at the close of the war.