Princep Ghat is name of the one of the many beautiful Ghats built during British Raj, along the river bank of Hooghly and on its bank on Kolkata side.
It is located between the Water Gate and the St George's Gate of the Fort William. It was built in 1841 and named after James Prinsep, the Anglo-Indian scholar and antiquary. The monument rich in Greek and Gothic inlays, was restored by the state's public works department in November 2001 and has since been well-maintained.In its initial years, all the royal British entourages used the Princep Ghat jetty for embarkation/disembarkation.
Princep Ghat Railway Station
Princep Ghat is one of the oldest recreational spots of Kolkata and people come here in evenings on weekends to have stroll along the bank, with many food-stalls selling variety of road-side foods. There also is an more than 40 year old ice-cream cum fast-food joint on the ghat, which is popular among the crowds, especially the youngsters. People can also have a ride in the river on the boats.
A song of Bollywood film Parineeta was shot here on the ghats.