Baranagar (Bengali: বরানগর) or Barahanagar, meaning the big (Bara or Burra) and town or land (nagar) of the pig (baraha), is a town in the northern outskirts of Kolkata. It is a municipality in North 24 Parganas district in the state of West Bengal, India. A railway station of the same name is on the Dankuni line off the Sealdah north section. It is home to the Indian Statistical Institute, the famous gun shell factory of the Indian Ministry of Defence, and an important jute mill on the banks of Hooghly river. It is a major industrial center for the manufacture of agricultural and industrial machinery, chemicals, castor oil, and matches; there are also numerous cotton-processing companies. It is the fourth most densely populated city proper in the world. List of cities proper by population density.
The Dutch mynheers had homes here in the seventeen century. Streynsham Master who visited the area in 1676 spoke of the hog factory where about 3,000 hogs a year were slaughtered and salted for export. Later it became the centre for the extensive jute trade, manufacturing gunny bags. A major road parallel to the river Hooghly connects Baranagar bazaar with Dakshineswar. In between temples such as Kaancher Mandir (which is made of glass), Joy Mitra Kali Bari, and Pathbari are located.