Lightbox, Keyboard, and Navigation

Published July 4th, 2011

The last week has been pretty busy, as usual, for us here at 500px. Apart from exploring Google+ (yes, we’ve got invites), we’ve got some interesting updates.

First of all, your photos are now safe from copying across the site — in community, portfolio, blog. You can’t drag or save the photo.

As always, we’d like to remind that it’s just a visibility of security, as there is not technology on earth that can save your photos from copying. Not us, not Flickr, SmugMug, PhotoShelter or anyone else. It’s not possible. So, this security measures only makes it a little harder to copy the photo. Currently, it’s on by default for everyone, and we’ll make a switch to turn if off for those who like openness.

We’ve also added a lightbox, available for all photos. Just click on the photo.

</a>

We like to add features without cluttering the interface with hundreds of buttons and switches. So, some features will be hidden, until you find them. For example, <a href="http://500px.com/photo/1013401?from=popular">navigation
. Or navigation from the keyboard.

</a>

So now, when you browse from <a href="http://500px.com/photo/1053641?from=popular">Popular
, Upcoming, Editors Choice or Fresh, you are treated to the custom navigation, that takes into account where you came from, so you can browse faster. How much faster? You can flip through the photos with “J” (backwards) and “K” (forward) buttons on the keyboard, and also use “F” to fave a photo, and “L” to vote with “Like”.

We've also added new language to the mix — this time, Brazilian Portuguese (Português Brasileiro). We'd like to thank all our friends in Brazil and Portugal who helped translate it.

Of course, we also added tons of fixes to EXIF reading, deleting accounts, translation and UI.

What’s coming up next? We hope to further simplify login and sign up, making it less prone to user or system errors, optimize speed to make things even faster, fix search, and add some nice touches to portfolios.

egorhythmia
egorhythmia (inactive)  over 3 years ago
Beautiful epilare definitiva
northface
northface (inactive)  over 3 years ago
long as they result in a check north face fleece jackets however, would likely involve rebellion, revenge, and north face coats clearance
for $20,000. Raising such a sum requires north face fleece resentment. What about coercion? Surely the employees north face coats for women
getting $100 from each employee--a daunting endeavor! north face on sale would provide the requested donation if they north face jackets clearance
The vice president considers the various ways north face jackets sale were told doing otherwise would negatively affect moncler outlet online
he could accomplish this task. It would North face jackets their next job evaluation. Would this tactic moncler outlet
be both easy and quick to approach north face us get immediate results? Sure. Again, however, the moncler uk
the employees using control. He could use moncler jackets long-term effects would be resentment, rebellion, and Canada goose online
physical force or threats on their life moncler outlet revenge.The vice president decides control and/or coercion Canada goose outlet
to obtain the money. This do-it-or-else mentality us moncler do not provide the best outcomes. Next Canada goose women
would get immediate results. The long-term impact, north face clearance
amo123
amo123 (inactive)  over 3 years ago
You will need to meizitang include both of these elements meizitang botanical slimming into your weight loss plan meizitang botanical slimming soft gel if you want it meizitang diet pills to succeed. However, you will find a lot of options meizitang slimming soft gel when you want help speeding up meizitang soft gel this process.
emma100
emma100 (inactive)  over 3 years ago
Comment hidden
jsantana
Jaime Santana  almost 4 years ago
Love the keyboard shortcuts, J & K, seem to have the opposite meaning that I have seen in other websites. Usually you start at the top of a list, like you do with say.. Google reader, to go the the next item, you click J and to go to the previous, K. Here, say you start with the first photo in the list, you have to type K to go to the next in the list..
istratov
Alexandre Istratov  almost 4 years ago
Hi ! I would LOVE a small change to the most visited part of the website, that is the "Popular" / "Editor's choice" / "Upcoming" tabs. It would be wonderful that if I select "Animal" photos only, and the switch from Popular to Upcoming, the category filter could be kept instead of having to re-select it each time ? Please ... Спасибо ребята !
SzimiStyle
Gyorgy Szimuly  almost 4 years ago
You might already be aware of the story but on mac I still can save the image using ctrl key and click. Drag & drop to desktop is no longer working if you are not in portfolio work. From these pages I still can save images by dragging and dropping to desktop. :)
Otherwise I have no complaints. I love it.
Best, Szimi
Maz6
Awesome Account
Tor-Erik Bakke  almost 4 years ago
Keyboard shortcuts are great, but...

1. Why not enable them for all browsing? I want to use them for browsing my friends' streams too not just upcoming and popular.
2. Why not have a shortcut for commenting?

tchebotarev
500px Team
Evgeny Tchebotarev  almost 4 years ago
Hi Josh!

We are in midst of making better navigation. What we want is a seamless and beautiful and quick navigation through-out the site. So that's definitely in the works. You can trust me, I'm a very active 500px user and I know what the most drawbacks are :)

JoshKenzer
Josh Kenzer  almost 4 years ago
Question: If I am looking at a photo from the popular photos by category and hit the k for next, I'm taking to the next popular photo, but the category I was in is ignored. Is there a way to browser a category by popular without having to flip back and fourth between the listing page and the individual photo page?
andrewgraemegould
Andrew Graeme Gould (inactive)  almost 4 years ago
I forgot to add that the best thing about the lightbox is that the lower part of portrait orientation images is not lost on our 15,4" and 15.6" laptops, and therefore also fits, I presume, on even smaller screens. About the right click protection, I'm glad it's set as default, as if you have photos maked copyright, you wouldn't want it any other way. Thanks!
andrewgraemegould
Andrew Graeme Gould (inactive)  almost 4 years ago
Great work from the 500px team. I also wish that once in the lightbox mode, you could go fowards or backwards in it ( as with Flickr). Additionally, it would be good if the left and right arrow keys could be used for back/foward navigation, as well as J and K. I believe that the arrow keys are a natural thing for a first time visitor to try.
TVD-Photography
Daniela Pintimalli  almost 4 years ago
Yes you guys must have read my mind (or my blog). I love how you now can't right click and save like on Redbubble. I know there are other ways such as print screen etc but I now feel safe to start editing and uploading my work without the watermarks in the way. Love what you have done so far, you really do strive to make photographers work look fantastic on your site. Keep up the great work :)
salah
Awesome Account
Salah Althubaiti  almost 4 years ago
Great work. Keep it up guys
tchebotarev
500px Team
Evgeny Tchebotarev  almost 4 years ago
Marcin, great point! We'll discuss and most likely will change that.
tchebotarev
500px Team
Evgeny Tchebotarev  almost 4 years ago
nitrogenmonooxide, lots of things are coming for portfolios, we just started! :)
rehael
Plus Account
Marcin W. Dąbrowski  almost 4 years ago
Ian, actually no, in Gmail it's the same — pressing J goes down, because gmail threads are in reverse chronology. Down = Next in this case. cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_keys#HJKL_keys
nitricoxide
Joost Wijnglas  almost 4 years ago
Great improvements!
But: Why no keyboard navigation with backward (<--) and forward (-->) buttons? And why only no slideshows in people's portfolios?

By the way: If you want a Dutch translation (you've quite a lot of users from The Netherlands), I'm happy to help!

rehael
Plus Account
Marcin W. Dąbrowski  almost 4 years ago
Lightbox is great addition! But for the keyboard navigation I agree with Mike — «J» should be «next» and «K» should be «previous», as in the rest of civilized world of keyboard navigtion maniacs and vi–keybinding evangelists. :)
7peaks
Awesome Account
Duane Hall  almost 4 years ago
Great to see the desire for continual improvements! Love using the site so far.